A good resume is an essential tool for finding a babysitting job. Whether you are looking for your first job, or if you already have experience, these tips will help you write the perfect resume to be a child care. The first impression is what counts. For this reason, it will be better to present a professional image from the beginning, differentiating yourself from the rest of the candidates through your resume.
What is a Childcare Resume?
How to write a resume for babysitters? The main thing is that before you start writing it, think about who will read it. The children’s parents will be your employers. As a general rule, parents have little time: in addition to working, they must take care of their children. Therefore, be concise. And as everyone knows, “the good if brief, twice good.” Take note because your resume should collect the most important things in just two pages: data, studies, experience and references. How to start? We explain how to do it step by step.
How to create Childcare Resumes
Sometimes the design of a resume can make the difference between a discarded CV or one that goes to the next phase of the selection process. Choose the template that best suits you and customize it according to your preferences.
1. Write a summary or short presentation
Your presentation or resume summary should only be one paragraph long. The length should be between two and four lines. This summary should appear just after your personal data and before the academic experience section.
The goal of this presentation is for you to explain why you are a good candidate to be a child caregiver. On the other hand, you must convince the parents that you have all the necessary characteristics of a babysitter. You must present yourself as the right person for the job offer.
2. Always add your photo
Photography is a fundamental element on a babysitting resume. You should bear in mind that the parents will do several interviews to choose the best candidate. It is important that they remember who you are by recognizing your image on the resume.
We give you several tips to choose the right photo for your resume:
- Convey who you are: Think about what image of yourself you want to give to the family. Choose a photograph that reflects your personality and transmits confidence to be a babysitter.
- Clothing suitable for the job: Projects a professional image, with a discreet look and without fanfare. We recommend solid colors in the garments, without prints. Opt for timeless clothing so that photography will serve you throughout the year.
- Choose a medium shot: We advise against a very close-up or a full-length photo. The focus should be on your face and not on your body.
- Smile: In the middle is virtue. So think that the ideal is a natural smile. Neither a laugh, nor the coldness of a serious gesture, are adequate to get a job as a babysitter.
- Take care of the framing: Ask someone you trust to photograph you. Try various angles, though remember to always look at the camera. Let the background be neutral, the attention should fall exclusively on you.
- Use ambient light: You will avoid unwanted shadows and your face will be better illuminated with natural light. We recommend taking the photos in the morning, if possible on a sunny day with warm light.
- Retouch with filters: Today it is possible to retouch any photograph, either from the filters offered by your computer, or from your mobile phone. Make sure that despite the retouching, the photograph is as natural as possible.
3. Think about your main qualities to be a babysitter
The writing of a resume should always be adapted to the job offer. Therefore, you should think about what qualities make you a good babysitter. That will be the main objective when writing your resume.
Everything about child care adds up. So if you want to be called for an interview, you must clearly define what values you have over the other candidates. We also recommend that you read our tips to succeed in your interview as a nanny.
Regarding your skills, they can be academic or personal:
- The academic qualities are focused on the degree, courses or studies that make you the best candidate. It should be specific and useful training for babysitting.
- Your personal qualities are those values or aptitudes that you count on to be a babysitter. We give you some examples: be organized, honest, punctual, patient or responsible. All these aspects are highly appreciated by parents for the care of their children.
Example: I am punctual, disciplined and very patient with children. I have a first aid course and a sociocultural animator. I am currently studying the degree of infant education.
4. What format is the best for the resume?
European format, printed, online, in color, in black and white, in word, in pdf. The options are multiple but you must focus on the main thing: parents should read your curriculum with ease.
You can create your own template or download some software over the internet to create your CV. We have found livecareer very useful, it is a free website with which you can create your resume from models designed by human resources experts.
Once the template has been selected, you will only have to add your data and professional information to complete it.
You must bear in mind that the format to write your CV must be editable (.doc, .docx, .txt). You will have no problems working with these formats and updating them. You will save time every time you want to modify something or adapt new data to your resume to be a babysitter.
5. Divide the resume into different sections
It is not only important what to write but in what order to write it. Create headings for the different sections, highlight each section using bold or capital letters.
Personal information: First, your name and contact information should always appear. The fundamental data are your address, telephone number and email. It is convenient that your name stands out from the rest of the information. Try highlighting the bold characters or writing it in a larger font size. Also indicate what your age is since you have to have the minimum legal age to work in Spain as a nanny.
Work experience: Second, professional experience may appear. If you want to be a babysitter but you have little experience, start with a section that lists the studies you are studying. Modify the order that we propose. If you have worked for multiple families, start with your babysitting experience.
Academic training: If you have specific studies to work in kindergartens or with children, but you do not have much experience, this section should come second. Indicate the studies you have completed to date and mark in bold those courses related to early childhood education.
Extracurricular activities: This section is your great opportunity to highlight your values to be a babysitter. Your hobbies and extracurricular activities say a lot about the type of person you are. Indicate if you practice any sports and which ones, if you belong to a club, are a member of a group of scouts with children, or the hobbies you have in general.
6. Highlight your experience as a childcare, the most valued factor
How to put on your resume that you have been a babysitter? In the “Work experience” section you must include all the jobs you have had to date. Whether they have been paid jobs, internships or volunteering, you must collect your professional experience.
Focus attention on jobs as a caregiver or those not so specific but related to children. Remember that experience is one of the factors most valued by parents and that the price you charge as a babysitter for babysitting will depend on it.
- Include the position you held in each job. If you worked for a business or daycare, please provide your details.
- It is very important to collect the start and end dates of the work.
- In each job, describe in a single line the tasks that you performed.
- The jobs you include in your work experience should appear in chronological order. You should start with the most recent and end with the oldest.
- When you detail your experience as a babysitter, you will have two alternatives to describe the job: generic or concrete. You can write the name of the family you worked for and the ages of the children, it usually adds greater confidence. Likewise, we recommend that you mark the text in bold when it is a specific babysitting job. In this way, parents will focus on that particular experience.
7. Include your references
References from previous jobs are always a plus that will make you stand out from the rest of the candidates. Both when writing announcements for babysitting and for making a resume. If you’ve previously worked for other families, talk to them about writing a domestic worker recommendation letter. Check with parents in advance if they do not mind you providing their contact information to other families.
It is common to find babysitters with no previous experience, who have only been in the care of cousins or younger siblings. Bringing references from family members does not usually give potential employers excessive confidence. For them it is difficult to assess the degree of veracity of the same.
Regardless of your studies or experience, references are a fundamental factor when it comes to finding a babysitting job. If you are lucky enough to have them, indicate it with a short sentence under professional experience.
When you do the job interview to be a babysitter, provide the recommendation letter (if you have one) along with the resume. Regarding the contact details of previous employers, only provide them if the parents request it. It is important that the families with whom you have previously worked give you their authorization to provide their telephone number. Remember to notify them in advance.
8. Review and correct your resume to be a childcare
When you’ve chosen the right babysitting resume template and completed the necessary information, review all of the content. Put yourself in the parents’ shoes when reading it. Imagine what a mother is looking for to take care of her children, and think if you meet the expectations.
It is very important that you check the spelling and grammar, remember that the CV is your best letter of introduction to a new family.
Child Care Template Sample
c / Infantas reales, 35 4º – 28014, Madrid – tlf: 608 556 123 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Nanny with full dedication and experience in daily childcare. Flexible and adaptable, with knowledge of child psychology. Very responsible and reliable, with creative thinking and ability to solve problems independently.
Skills and aptitudes:
Positive reinforcement methods
Reliable and punctual
Knowledge of behavioral techniques
I work with children with special needs
2010 to present – Nanny for multiple clients
- Responding to a wide spectrum of childcare needs for parents working or traveling on business or private.
- Preparation of meals for children and housework
- Baths for young children when needed and helps older children to go to bed
- Reading to children and games with educational activities
- Maintaining a safe environment
- Supervision of activities and transport of children
- Occasionally caring for sick children who must stay home or go out before school
- Administration of first aid or necessary daily medication
From 2006 to 2010 – Day care babysitter in “Kindergarten angels”
- Classes for newborns and children between 1 and 3 years old
- Provide healthy and safe environments for all children
- Use of toys and video games with activities appropriate to different ages and intellectual development
Middle grade studies. Certified as “Child caregiver” and “First aid”
FAQ about childcare templates
1- I have no experience as a babysitter, what should I mention in my resume?
If you don’t have babysitting experience, mention any other jobs you have had. When you include the three or four most relevant tasks you performed in those positions, highlight those skills that may be related to childcare, such as organization, leadership, responsibility, etc.
Focus on your academic and complementary training (you can reverse the order and put your studies first and then your experience) and include your interests (so that families can get to know you a little more). And most importantly: surely with a good CV, you will get an opportunity to be a babysitter.
2- Is it necessary to include a photo in my childcare resume?
According to the experts in selection processes, it is less and less frequent to include a photo in the curriculum. This is because, in this way, we do not run the risk of being discriminated against because of our physical appearance, race or age. However, there are certain jobs for which it is advisable to include a photo.
Keep in mind that the babysitting position is built on trust, so families may want to know who is behind your CV. If you decide to include your photo, keep in mind that it must be a passport-type photo, with a neutral background and in a professional attitude.
3- What format should I use for my childcare resume?
The ideal format for a nanny resume is one that allows you to view the candidate’s information in a clear and well-structured way. In addition, the information about your experience and training should be ordered from the most recent to the oldest, so that the recruitment technician understands your progress.
Resume templates have all kinds of designs, but one thing in common: they are approved by our experts and present your profile in a simple and organized way.
Regarding the format of the document, we recommend that you send it in PDF, since the information will not undergo modifications or alterations as it would if you send it in a Word document.
4- What are the core competencies of a babysitter?
For all types of jobs it is necessary for the candidate to have certain skills or qualities. In the case of babysitters, the skills are even more relevant, so it is essential that they stand out on your resume:
- Emergency management experience
- Ability to control tantrums
- Empathy with children
- Child development knowledge
- Organizational skills
- Meal planning
- Special education methods
- Motivational ability
- 1 What is a Childcare Resume?
- 1.1 How to create Childcare Resumes
- 1.1.1 1. Write a summary or short presentation
- 1.1.2 2. Always add your photo
- 1.1.3 3. Think about your main qualities to be a babysitter
- 1.1.4 4. What format is the best for the resume?
- 1.1.5 5. Divide the resume into different sections
- 1.1.6 6. Highlight your experience as a childcare, the most valued factor
- 1.1.7 7. Include your references
- 1.1.8 8. Review and correct your resume to be a childcare
- 1.2 Child Care Template Sample
- 1.3 FAQ about childcare templates
- 1.1 How to create Childcare Resumes