Some medical professionals think that they will never need a medical resume because to work in the public sector, after the MIR test and the period of residence, they have a practically guaranteed position. But not all professionals apply for a position in public health and decide to apply to clinics or private companies. The most common are Gynecology and Obstetrics, General Medicine, Otolaryngology, Pediatrics, Allergy, General Surgery, Traumatology and Orthopedics, Ophthalmology and Psychiatry.
In addition to this professional opportunity in private clinics, there are other options such as academic (professor of medicine), research or administration and management of human resources, to attract new social and health support. For all these cases the development of a complete medical resume can be crucial. In addition, having a resume that summarizes what you have studied to be a doctor along with all your academic and professional experience is essential today.
Structure of a doctor’s resume
The structure of a doctor’s CV may be, a priori, complicated due to the extensive information that it requires and must be specified, in this case the CV of a doctor requires the following sections:
Personal data: in addition to the name, ID, date of birth, city, province, address, ZIP, telephone, email … it would be convenient to include the Collegiate Number.
Academic training: here not only the name of the bachelor’s degree, degree, masters, postgraduate, doctorate or courses must be added, but also the university and the year of beginning and end of the same. It is important that you indicate the specialization of the MIR that you have done for 4 years, and thus differentiate your CV as a forensic doctor from one of plastic surgeon or psychiatrist. If we do not have experience, training will be our greatest asset so we must place it at the beginning.
Work experience: professional experience in hospital will be added here, in which the unit in which they worked, the months and the head of the unit must also be added.
But also here other sections would be included such as:
- Publications: they must be ordered by years from the most recent to the oldest and the bibliographic citation must be well identified. To do this, you must follow the Vancouver regulations.
- Presentations, posters or oral presentations at conferences: the list should only include those in which they have acted as a speaker or those conferences or meetings in which their own work is presented.
- Teaching collaborations: indicate the university or institute, the subject or specialty covered, the tutor and the date.
- Research work: from the latest research to the final master’s thesis or career must be mentioned in this section. It should be noted: the research period, the name of the research and the body or institution that is in charge of funding.
- Continuous training through courses: in the event that there are many courses taken, it must be concise and only include the title, place and year.
- Professional associations to which you belong: name those in which you participate actively and regularly.
- Participation and service to the community: in the case of coordinating vaccination campaigns, transplant campaigns at the national level …
- Trophies and diplomas: in this section you can point out all those distinctions that you have obtained during your academic or professional career.
Other information: here it could be important to point out the medical techniques that you know and master but also: the level of languages, computer science or the driver’s license are some data that are included in the curricula of doctors as in the rest of professionals.
In the case of academic training and work experience, the most correct and most useful organization when reading a resume is the reverse chronological one.
Example of Medical Curriculum
With a medical resume this professional, there will be no hospital that will resist hiring this candidate. Now the time has come for you to start writing your own.
Beatriz Vega Funtanet
- 944 24 18 50
Psychiatrist with more than 6 years of experience in the effective diagnosis and treatment of patients. As part of the UMAE Hospital de Pediatría, I generated an improvement in 85% of my patients. In search of replicating these results in the pediatric psychiatry department at Hospital Quirón Salud Madrid.
Subspecialist in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
UMAE Hospital de Pediatría, Centro Médico Nacional de Occidente
March 2017 – December 2019
- Provided effective therapy and treatment to over 100 child patients.
- I created a new methodology for systemic family therapy in collaboration with the psychology team that increased
- satisfaction rates by 25%.
- I trained 10 new specialists in child patient care.
- I conducted practical studies in 15 different patients as part of an investigation about post-traumatic syndrome in
Resident of the specialty of psychiatry
University Hospital of the Princess
August 2013 – December 2017
- I developed a research protocol focused on patients with nocturnal intake.
- I regularly cared for more than 50 psychiatric patients.
- I led a group of 6 residents and trained them on medical records and dealing with patients.
- I implemented a new administrative system that reduced the time of patient admission and discharge paperwork by 30%.
Specialty in Psychiatry
University Hospital of the Princess – 2013-2017
Licensed in medicine
Complutense University of Madrid – 2009-2013
- Good doctor-patient relationship
- I work under pressure
- Group therapy
Congresses and courses
- Organizer of the XXVI International Congress of Medicine “Global Health”, 2019
- Participant in the First Conference on Psychiatry and Neurosciences at UMAE CENTRO MÉDICO NACIONAL SIGLO XXI
- Specialty Hospital, 2015
- Participant in the 1st International Refresher Course in Neuropsychopharmacology, 2013.
What should the resume of an inexperienced doctor contain
In the curriculum without experience, in addition to personal and academic data, if you do not have much experience because you have just graduated, have done a volunteer in developing countries during academic holidays, an Erasmus-type exchange with foreign universities in the period As a university student, or having completed the non-compulsory internships, they could give you many points when it comes to being selected because they denote an active attitude and a dynamic and curious character.
What to include on a medical professor’s resume
In addition to all of the above, a medical professor must also add in his training section the pedagogical courses that accredit him for teaching and in the case of having experience he must add:
Teaching positions and functions: indicating the center, the modality and the teaching dates.
Guided and in-progress theses: If you work for the university as a Ph.D. or senior lecturer, student theses are often directed. Indicate in this section the name of the same, the main author and the year of publication.
Preparation of regulations, programs and study plans: if you have coordinated the tasks of programming the theme, content and activities of the course for new students, indicate the program that you have helped to design.
Professional competencies of a doctor
To have an optimal development in the workplace, every medical professional must have the following professional skills:
- Domain of general medical care.
- Domain of community care.
- Mastery of the ethical and deontological code.
- Mastery of the scientific bases.
- Methodological and instrumental capacity in sciences and humanities.
- Mastery of the quality of medical care and teamwork.
- Critical analysis and research.
Skills and attitudes that are valued in the specialist medical resume
Skills of a doctor:
- Clinical and diagnostic reasoning to help you come up with the correct treatment plan.
- Skills for the analysis of scientific documents.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with patients and students, in a simple way.
- Synthesis capacity for the preparation of medical records.
- Leadership ability to make quick decisions.
- Creativity to solve problems or propose research projects.
Attitudes of a doctor:
- Permanent update.
- Critical, reflective and responsible attitude.
- Serving the individual and the community.
- Scientific attitude.
- Positive attitude towards life.
- Cooperation, openness and participation for interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary work.
Goals in the medical curriculum
The objectives for the curriculum are quite relevant when applying for a job, so we must add approximately 5-6 lines, after having described the academic training and professional experience. In the objectives we will write our goals and objectives both in the short and long term within the desired company.
The best phrases for the objectives on the resume will be those that retract our accomplishments and abilities. In addition, we must specify why they should hire us and not other candidates, that is, what will we contribute to the company?
- 1 Structure of a doctor’s resume
- 2 Example of Medical Curriculum